University of Aberdeen Back
University accreditation applies to courses from this institution
The University of Aberdeen is committed to becoming one of the top 100 world-leading universities, with a unique role developed over 500 years.
The mission, objectives and targets outlined in our Strategic Plan are approved and monitored by the governance structure of the University Court, which has corporate and legal responsibilities, and the Senatus Academicus (Senate) which is responsible for the regulation and superintendence of teaching and the promotion of research.
The General Council comprises all University graduates and certain academic staff and is empowered "to take into consideration all questions affecting the well-being and prosperity of the University, and to make representations from time to time on such questions to the University Court".
Colleges and Schools
Teaching at the University of Aberdeen is organised across three colleges which encompass a broad range of disciplines in academic schools.
Undergraduate and postgraduate students benefit by being taught by academic staff who are active in research, many involved in international collaborations at the forefront of discovery in their respective discipline, focused on finding answers to the issues facing our society and economy today.
Multidisciplinary research centres and institutes bring together experts at the cutting-edge of their fields to work with colleagues across the UK and beyond on the big issues of today.
- A university ranked consistently among the top 1% of the world's universities
- 55th out of 750 world universities (top university in Scotland) for research performance (based on the proportion of research appearing in the top 10% of international journals) - CWTS Leiden Ranking 2015
- 76% of research assessed through the UK's Research Excellence Framework (REF14) is ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- Rated top in the UK in REF14 for environmental and soil science research
- Scotland's third oldest university and the fifth oldest in the UK, founded 1495
- Five Nobel Laureates are associated with the University of Aberdeen
- Region boasts the highest concentration of health and life scientists anywhere in Europe
- 6th in the UK for success in commercialising research through spinout companies (latest Praxis Unico survey)
- North-east Scotland consistently rated ideal environment in which to live and work (Mercers global rankings)
- Library in top 10 for 'spell-binding university libraries in the world' (The Independent)
- Outstanding sports facilities include Olympic-standard Aberdeen Sports Village and Aquatic Centre
- Community of 120 nationalities, with 16,500 students: 49% men 51% women, and 12% mature undergraduates
- Aberdeen is named as Scotland's safest university city (Complete University Guide)
- Student clubs and societies ranked top in Scotland and 5th in UK (WhatUni Awards 2013)
- One of the largest wireless campuses in Europe, and strategy to continually improve student accommodation and facilities
United Kingdom (GB/UK)
+44 (0)1224 272000